Monday, June 27, 2016

Weather Report, June 27, 2016

Here in our neighborhood, it's baking: 109 degrees (F) and 12% humidity. Nobody's doing much of anything that requires motion or energy.

Gracie's happy as a clam (do clams really have moods?) in her favorite weather  -  the kind that proves that the Spring Shedding Season isn't over yet. Everywhere she spends more than a few milliseconds is carpeted with fur - floor, window sill, my desk, you name it. If she's been there, she's shed on it!

Here, she's just come indoors to cool off on the nice cold tile floor, which is laid on a concrete slab and thus is never warm, even in this weather:

 If she were outdoors, she'd be sleeping under a shrub somewhere

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Atascadero Lakeside Wine Festival

If you're in town (or nearby), DH is exhibiting his wonderful woodturning at the Atascadero Lakeside Wine Festival, open this afternoon from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

In past years, the festival went from noon to 4:00 pm, but June is a hot month here, and too many attendees couldn't tolerate the heat (and wine on top of it).

You will find lots to enjoy. Do drop by and say hello!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Back from Complex Weavers Seminars

It was a wonderfully well-organized conference packed with enough joy for any weaver to feel satisfied at the end. The opportunity to reconnect with friends I haven't seen in 2 years was fabulous, and the new friends are terrific too! The weather in the Chicago area took pity on us, and was neither too hot nor too humid. (Here at home, it's in the 105 - 108 (F) range every day, but at least it's dry heat that cools down nicely at night.)

I'll write more about CW Seminars later, after I've had time to wind down and wash the laundry.

In the meantime, while I was away, DH has been playing with my combination birthday and Christmas present - a robot vacuum! This one is not a Roomba - the iRobot brand is reputed to be unhappy with tile floors, and since our house is entirely tile except for the bedrooms, we looked at other brands. The final vote was for a Neato botvac, which can do tile, and is also great for households with pets/pet hair.

The rectangolar opening in the top is normally occupied by the dust bin:

DH had run the Neato one day before, so this is just one day's worth of dust, crumbs, and Gracie's contribution - ample supplies of cat hair.

Great product, except that it will clearly take a while for Gracie to adjust to its presence. When it runs, she leaves the house. The day I catch her riding around on top of it like the cats in all those YouTube videos, I'll probably keel over in a dead faint.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

One Thousand Picks

Actually, I think it's 1,100, but still not yet at the halfway mark.

Thank you for the encouraging comments about the color palette. My problem is that green is the background color, but because it is brighter and more saturated, it looks as if it ought to be the pattern color, and the result is not at all what I envisioned.

On the other hand, perhaps the visual confusion over what is pattern and what is ground adds some mystery and abstraction to the design.

I think I might use a small sample to try overdyeing with fuchsia, which would darken and dull the green, and make the lavendar more intense. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

Sunday, June 05, 2016


Here are the (future) table mats at 500 picks, which is less than 10% of the total number neededWe've got a long way to go!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

A Closeup for Meg

In a comment on the last post, Meg in New Zealand asked for a closeup showing the structure, so here it is. Sorry - not quite in perfect focus, but you should be able to make out the differences between the areas of different satin variations.

Both green and lavendar are weaving 8-end satins. Green is weft-faced (weft travels under 1 warp end, over 7) everywhere. Lavendar weaves 3 different 8-end satins, either 1/7, 3/5, or 5/3. I could have made the green darker by using a different 8-end satin variation, for example, 2/6 or 3/5. At this point, though, I don't want to change gears, mostly because I'm getting near the end of the warp and don't want to waste any.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Back at the Jacquard Loom

I've been meaning to weave some sets of placemats on the jacquard loom. They'll be woven in one large piece, then cut into 4 mats (each slightly different because of the design placement), backed, given bound edges and maybe some quilting to emphasize the design.

The first trial run has begun - I got 200 picks into the design this afternoon. I discovered that twisting fringes on more than one scarf per day is too hard on my hands, even with the aid of the battery-powered Conair gizmo, so I felt justified in escaping to the loom for an hour.

I'm not altogether happy with my color choices; the pink/lavender isn't saturated enough to hold its own against the (allegedly background) green. Oh, well, I overdyed both yarns in an attempt to solve this problem, and I'm not gonna do it again, so this trial run is what it is. I'll be more careful with choices for the second run.