Translate

Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wood Scarf #5

Scarf #5 in the wood series is only just begun, but it's way cool! I didn't think I'd like this treadling nearly as much as I do now that I see it actually woven. This one is definitely another quick change artist. From the side, what is most visible is the large networked curve that makes a lazy S shape across the cloth - one of the two design lines in the interleaved threading. Along the length of the cloth, the S shapes get fatter, then thinner. Superimposed on that curve is another set of nearly parallel lines that travel in a generally diagonal fashion, sometimes steeper climb, sometimes shallower, which is created by the second design line in the threading.



The weft is the walnut-chip dyed skein, which is nearly the same value as the light warp and pretty close in hue - just not quite so peachy. The treadling is similar to the steep networked line in the threading, but not identical. I tried a version of this design file using the same steep networked line but on the computer monitor it wasn't impactful enough, so I started over and worked on it until I had a version that was still related to the threading design line but had more difference between steep and shallow areas. I looked at the two versions of the file, and liked this one more but still wasn't sure about it until I had at least a couple of inches woven, then it became obvious I'd made the right choice.

When viewed in the warp-wise direction, the dark S curve doesn't show up nearly as strongly, and the superimposed pattern is more apparent.



Now you see it, now you don't. Just like some wood I've seen DH work on the lathe. This is really a lot of fun. It's amazing how many different effects are possible with interleaved threadings. How wonderful to see the moire shimmer in the changing light and viewing angle.

It's my sincere hope that every one of you get as much enjoyment out of what you do for a living as I do. Creating cloth is such a positive, hopeful endeavor, and every thread is instructive, even when it snarls and tangles on its way from skein to cone to pirn to cloth. The end result always manages to make the little challenges along the way worthwhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this wood series! I hadn't checked your blog in over a week so all five scarves were a feast for my eyes. I especially like #5!! Hope that you take some pictures of the scarves after they are washed and pressed - the moire patterns should really show up then.

Marlene

Peg in South Carolina said...

The pleasure you get from your weaving really shows.