Translate

Pages

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Planning the Next Warp

Between the tasks involved in getting ready for next weekend's show, I'm thinking ahead to the next warp that'll go on the loom. I'd like to do a run of dishtowels, to have on hand for holiday gifts and to start stocking up for future show inventory.

I dug some 18/2 mercerized cotton out of the stash, purchased at an estate sale many years ago. I've got some cotton/hemp blend from Textura Trading that is about the same grist that I'll dye for the weft yarn for some of the towels, and some odds and ends of 20/2 cotton in various colors.

Some of the latter was very inexpensive and very ugly, so it'll get overdyed to a [hopefully] more appealing color. Let's see, the ghastly reddish brown (too namby-pamby to qualify as rust) can go into a burgundy dyepot, but I'm not sure about the puce...

Anyway, this should be a quick and easy project: straight draw threading, and treadlings from handweaving.net or out of my library of unused treadlings. Here are a couple of ideas for borders.










The dyepots may get going now - fiber reactive dye doesn't need too much attention once the soda ash goes into the pot, so I can twist fringes while waiting for the timer to remind me to stir.

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Hi Sandra,

They all look great, but of course I'm partial to butterflies. :D

Cheers,

Laura

Anonymous said...

I'm also liking the butterflies the most.