Translate

Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Oh, $%^#

So there I was, admiring the threaded, sleyed, and lashed on warp.



Then I noticed that behind the shafts lurked a few very slack threads. Turns out I had missed an 8-thread bout of warp ends somewhere about the 2/3 mark. Damn!



That meant unlashing, unknotting, and unsleying; followed by resleying, reknotting, and relashing... I'm quite sure none of you has ever made such a silly mistake, right?

Now, finally, the warp is ready for the next step - tying up the treadles.



I'm testing out a new method for countermarche tie-up that Peter Collingwood wrote about on WeaveTech a very long time ago. At one time, there was a document on Peter's website with text and drawings describing the process. It's an innovation begun by a British weaver who wanted to improve the conventional method of countermarche tie-up, which requires that each treadle is tied to all risers and all sinkers for its shed, while the weaver is sitting in a very awkward position under the loom. This new method lets the weaver accomplish the tie-up while sitting comfortably behind the loom. When I've got it working, I'll post pictures and a description of the modified setup.

7 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Bummer on the little warping whoops....but the warp is gorgeous!

I'll definitely be interested in whatever improvements you come up with for countermarche tie up!!! Sitting under my loom is not my favorite place to be!!

Sue

Becky said...

I feel your pain! Please do share the modified setup. I just spent many painful hours under a big Cranbrook. The chains are the pits. Fortunately, my personal loom has texsolv cords.

Your warp is gorgeous!

Laura Fry said...

Ouch - nothing worse than taking out the work one has *just* finished doing! Looks pretty though. :)

Cheers,
Laura

neki desu said...

why do f$%k ups always happen in the middle?

Deanna said...

I'd be embarrassed to say just how often I make silly mistakes. :-)

Love the colors in that warp - lovely transition into autumn. I am SO ready for autumn!

Peg in South Carolina said...

May I add some more X%$#&*@...........

Anonymous said...

I've tried the 'new" tie-up, although I always sit behind the loom regardless of the tie-up. What I don't like about it (on the Glimakra) is that it takes two feet, and those pesky rear mounted treadles are always moving around the place causing me to constantly look at my feet on every pick. If I can get a carpenter to fashion a treadle gate, then I think I would like this tie-up better. What I AM about to try is Betsy Ashenden's (Vav Stuga) quick tie and remove button system, which, so far, I've only used at her teaching studio.
Sue in MA