Translate

Pages

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Wine Barrel

This is the image I started with, sized in Photoshop to the same width in pixels as I have hooks on the loom and indexed to several values of three hues - grey, beige, and red-brown:



This is the lower third, after weaving about 500 picks:



And the middle third:



I'm very happy with the way this is going - the weave conveys a lot of the detail of the original image without being a slavishly exact copy. Which is exactly what I want it to do.

It would be impossible, in the context of this particular weave structure and within the loom's hook limitations, to create a pixel-by-pixel exact copy, in any case. What I'm after is an impression of the original, not a photographically exact copy of the original. If that were what I wanted, I'd be a photographer and not a weaver :-) ...

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

What fun to see the images build before your eyes. :)
cheers,
Laura

neki desu said...

agree, for exact copies, or as alice says married to the literal, photographs.
for that special je n' sais quoi