Translate

Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Sampling

I wove a small (1 inch) sample on the jacquard, both to test colors and to determine how much to alter the design to get the aspect ratio correct.


The answer to the first question is that the ground color (light green) is too light and bright for the pattern color (medium dull blue). I have some other color choices for the pattern, but I think the green is going to need to be overdyed to a darker, duller shade.

The answer to the second question is "lots!" The warp is 20/2 mercerized cotton sett at 45 epi. The weft is a soft-spun, comparable size of unmercerized cotton that beats in very tightly. Weaving 1 inch took 84 picks, which means I need to make the design taller by a factor of 1.85!

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Sometimes I shake my head at all the math weaving requires. Who knew! :)

cheers,
Laura
having just spent some time going over how to design stripes with Fibonacci and converting '1' to different values, then figuring out how many ends those ratios represent :)

Sandra Rude said...

Yes, lots of arithmetic. (I always think of "math" as the more complex stuff like differential equations, sine and cosine, etc.) But anybody who freaks out when dealing with numbers and numerical relationships isn't gonna be a happy weaver.