Translate

Pages

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Success!

If you've been folowing the status of the current warp on the dobby loom, you may remember that my objectives were (1.) Use up stash; (2.) Weave several featherweight, sheer wool shawls, with a warp of randomly mixed, fine blue wool yarns and a weft of fine blue, wool + mylon boucle.

Well, I think I nailed it! The warp is sett at 30 epi (3 per dent in a 10-dent reed. The warp yarns are almost all 32/2 or finer (there is one ~ 28/2). The target ppi is 16, which after a few loom adjustments was achieved.

Not only are the tabs of the apron clearly visible through the woven cloth, but also the quite detailed shadow of the shuttle. Of course, the cloth will be a little more dense after wet finishing, but at this point I'm quite happy with it.

The weave for this first of four shawls on the warp is plain weave; I may try a 2x2 twill or a crepe weave on one or more of the others. Because the threading is straight draw on 20 shafts, there are lots of possible choices from my well-thumbed copy of Oelsner that have no floats longer than 2 threads. The longer the floats, of course, the more distortion in the finished cloth because of the boucle weft, so I will try to limit the floats to 2 (or maybe 3) threads.

My thanks to my friend Pat Stewart, whose experience with this fine boucle I used as a baseline for decisions about epi and ppi.

2 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

Looks lovely. I look forward to seeing it after wet finishing.

neki desu said...

This looks very exciting!