Translate

Pages

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Test Driving the Warping Valet

It works, although I managed to tangle the chains a bit in the painting and washout process.The next warp I use the valet on will be 8/2 tencel, which is less likely to tangle. Here's my setup:


Two milk jugs and a thermos with a handle are my weights. I used a balance to make sure the weights were approximately equal (+ or - an ounce or two). I started with 3 lbs in each one, and found that it made the valet crossbar bend just a little, so I cut back to 2.5 lbs.

4 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

So you never used a valet before? Laura Fry got me started a few years ago, and I use more like her method...nothing hooked to the loom itself; rather a horizontal bar attached to the ceiling at an appropriate location. Mine has been moveable so I can position it by the loom that needs it.

Sandra Rude said...

Our house has really high ceilings, and I didn't want to have to use a ladder to fling the chains over the crossbar. Also, the dobby loom is the only one I'll use the valet on; the jacquard is always a single color, and the sectional beam is aporopriage for that loom.
A question: how much weight do you put on the chains?

Janet said...

I prefer the donut-shaped weights that go on weight lifting rods. They are easy to store and don't leak or spill. I have 2.5 and 5 lb weights. Most of the time I find that the 2.5 wts are adequate.

Peg Cherre said...

Sandra- I use 1/2 gallon jugs (vinegar is preferable to milk as they are stronger, filled about 3/4 with water. I tried to weigh them for you, but my scale only goes up to 3# and they are heavier than that, although probably not much. Unless it's a narrow warp (9" or less), I use 2 jugs.

And I'd LOVE high ceilings, but wouldn't use them for my valet. :-)