Friday, February 08, 2008

Textiles on Hold for the Moment

We've received two offers on our house, one primary and one backup offer, and while we wait for the inspections to be signed off and contingencies cleared, we took a few days to go house hunting in the area where we plan to live.

It was fun for us, but a major task for the realtor, because we have very specific (but unusual) requirements. The house has to have either already existing shop space that we can easily convert to a woodturning studio for DH and a weaving and dyeing studio for me, or be on a large enough lot for us to build studio space. Otherwise, it has to be a big enough house with a big enough garage for me to use indoor space and DH to use garage space - but we'd really rather have the studios in a separate structure. That would let us buy a smaller house, and I wouldn't have to keep the weaving studio quite so tidy :)

So for the moment, weaving and woodworking are at a standstill. It is reassuring, though, that the process has actually begun rolling along. For 10 months on the market, we've been in limbo while waiting for something to happen. It wasn't until we dropped the price below the magic number that the offers started coming in, and then we had 3 offers in rapid order!

I'll post as and when I have something to say, or pictures to share. In the meantime, happy weaving and dyeing and textile work.


Abby Franquemont said...

Wow, Sandra, that is super cool! Wherabouts are you looking?

Anonymous said...

Watching my sister go through exactly the same experience at almost the same time on opposite coasts! is amazing. It's tough and exciting at the same time. I wish you the best but am very very sad that you will be leaving the Bay Area. Penny