Translate

Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

More Towels Finished

Two more towels are laundered, hemmed, and pressed. These are already sold, and now are ready to go to their new home.



I'm finding that the needle-weaving action necessary to mend the occasional inadvertent float is very hard on my hands, so I can only mend a towel or two a day. In between short bouts of needle-weaving, I'm winding sections of the next towel warp. When that warp is ready to weave, I'm going to have to be much more attentive to the tension of the outer inch or so on each side of the warp. Those were the problem areas on this warp for some reason, more so on the first few towels than on later ones, because I adjusted the warp beam tension when I realized there were warp ends that didn't want to do what they were told. Part of the problem is that it's a soft, stretchy yarn, and part is because at 48 epi there was more friction among the warp ends in any given dent than there would be with a twill or plain weave sett.

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Those are gorgeous towels!!!

Here I go, asking another question in a comment....but I'm having warp tension problems and I'm curious about how you adjusted the warp beam tension during your last project.

Usually, once my tension gets bad, it just gets worse and worse. So if there's a way to adjust it and make it easier to weave that would be great!

Thanks! Your towels are inspiring!!
Sue

Life Looms Large said...

Thanks for emailing me the info Sandra! Good to know that even a weaver at your level sometimes has to weight individual threads separately!

Weave on!
Sue

Larry said...

I'd like to hear more (or cite a reference) about mending weaving mistakes. When I make mistakes, I usually turn the piece into a dog towel - my dog has a LOT of really nice towels ;-)

Thanks,
Larry