Translate

Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two More Towels Finished

I'm working on the towels in a very gradual way. I'll mend a few, launder them, press and hem, then photograph. The next day, I'll mend a few more, etc. So you'll see 'em in dribs and drabs, in no particular order related to the numbering I assigned while they were being woven.

Because I'm an exceptionally lazy person, I started out by finishing the ones that didn't need any mending, because I really hate the needle-weaving routine. The ones with the most floats to be repaired are at the bottom of the pile...

Today's two towels have patterns that look quite different on one face compared to the other. Notice how on this towel with a navy weft, Block A looks like it only contains two satin variations on one face of the cloth, but on the other face all the variations are clear. Ditto Block B.



It's a really cool tromp l'oeil effect!

This towel with a royal blue weft has some of the same visual effect:



In the meantime, the next towel warp is partly beamed. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow or the next day, because the day after that (Friday) we take off on a week's vacation and I'd like to get the whole warp beamed before we leave.

The month of March will be a busy one. The first weekend is the ASCH conference in Riverside, where DH and I will be vendors. The weekend after that is the Contemporary Craft Market in San Francisco, and the one after that is the Paso Robles Zinfandel Festival, and we will have house-guests for a few days for that. (It's only fair - we stay with them every year for the Zinfandel Festival in San Francisco!)

6 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Vacation!!! Have a great time!!!

That's great that you keep plugging away at the towels! They're gorgeous!

Sue

neki desu said...

it sure is a cool effect.
i feel soooo very comforted when i see that weaving mistakes also dwell in other studios :).
have a great time zinfandelling!

neki desu

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful towel series, I'm so enjoying seeing each one!

Gwen said...

Oh my, those are just beautiful! It's very interesting how the two sides are so different. I can't wait to see the rest of the towels as you unveil them! :)

Gwen said...

Oh my, those are just beautiful! It's very interesting how the two sides are so different. I can't wait to see the rest of the towels as you unveil them! :)

Anonymous said...

Exquisite work. A delight to see the towels.