Translate

Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Warp (or Cloth) Separator Material

In a comment on the previous post, Sue asked "This is a great method. But can't wait to see how you deal with the 'bumps' from the knots against the woven web as goes around the beam."

Glad you asked, Sue! I keep a short length of the heavy paper I use as warp separator when I put a warp on the plain beam. It's stuff you can get at Home Depot, and here's what HD says about it: "Trimaco Heavy Weight 99 # Red Rosin Is Used For A Wide Variety Of Building Applications As A Protective Barrier. This Paper Is A Superior Moisture Barrier. Useful For Flooring And Roofing Projects."

It came into my possession when we remodeled our kitchen in the previous house. The contractor laid it down to protect the carpet and hardwood floors along the paths trod by the workmen. He happily left the remainder of the roll behind when the job was complete.

I use it because it's firmer than any paper or corrugated cardboard I've ever tried before, so it works well as warp separator, even with fine silk at high tension. Even though it says it contains rosin, I've never had any cases where it affected the warp, even when the warp lived on the loom for a while :)

I tuck a piece about a yard long onto the cloth beam just before the knots reach the beam. A yard is enough to do a couple of laps around the beam, and the knots have never caused a problem through it. The stuff is infinitely reusable.

And best of all, it's CHEAP at $13 for a 166-ft roll (35 in wide). One roll is a lifetime supply, in fact I sold off 10-yard lengths to several fellow guild members and still have plenty left.

1 comment:

LFN Textiles said...

oh, I am so happy to learn about your warp paper source! I used to buy colored rolls of single-sided corrugated from a teacher's supply near my old studio in Chicago; now I live in rural Indiana it was going to be a project to figure out how to replace the corrugated, long flattened and now tearing up at the edges. Thanks!