Translate

Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Towels 5 & 6

After so long weaving with a fly shuttle, I'm finally beginning to relearn how to get a steady rhythm weaving with a hand shuttle. Still having trouble getting an even beat, because my right arm isn't used to moving the beater, so it whacks with more force. Oh well, it's sort of like a bicycle, you don't quite forget how to do it, but remembering the fine points takes a little practice.

Here are towels 5 and 6, seen from side and front.





Towel 5 uses a treadling that's one of my favorites for Water Series pieces, because it captures the effect of ripples so well. It has rhythm, but slightly irregular - the advancing shapes start small, grow larger, then shrink back to small again.





Towel 6 has big zig-zag shapes in the treadling.

In a comment on the previous post, Deanna asked what kind of loom I might be considering, and Neki guessed right on the first try. I'd really, really like a jacquard loom, but am not quite ready to purchase one, although I hope it won't be too much longer. Stay tuned. If anything changes, you guys will be the first to hear about it.

No comments: