Translate

Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Maple Leaves

I decided it was time to break out of the black+green+white box and try a more adventurous color combination. I chose an image of Japanese maple leaves in autumn:



After quite a bit of manipulation in Photoshop, I indexed the image to 8 colors (6 greens and 2 reds), with the background various shades of green:



Then I rummaged through the yarn stash to find a dull green 20/2 cotton/bamboo blend and a bright coral-red 30/2 silk, and started weaving:



Where the green and red are on the surface in approximately equal amounts, optical blending creates brown, giving the impression of more different hues than there really are. I like the way the red and green really pop - it's an in-your-face combination. The structure is weft backed satin based on 8-end shaded satins, as with the earlier trees.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I have enjoyed reading your experience in getting your new loom up and running, but I haven't had time to check blogs in a couple of weeks. Wow! I'm so impressed with these latest projects. They are gorgeous! How exciting to be able to weave anything you see!

neki desu said...

the momiji weaving is a super stunner. of course i'm also partial to momijis
(紅葉=もみじ= momiji just between us :) )