Translate

Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

More Trees

Here's a look at the dogwood as it winds down under the loom. At this point, you can see the whole piece, which I can never do while weaving.



And the next piece on the warp, which is based on this photo of a palm frond, taken last year in Costa Rica:



Here it is on the loom. It has a much more abstract look and I didn't manage to capture the dramatic value differences. I'll try again someday with another combination of weave structures, to see if I can do it justice.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

The trees are gorgeous, Sandra. You're not helping my jacquard envy.

Anonymous said...

Your work is so amazing. I feel inadequate giving advice, but in comparing the two palm frond pictures I think one of the problems may be that the contrast between the colors isn't stark enough. In the original the dark colors are almost black. You can tell I am a color person, right?
Joyce

Holly said...

awesome!

Sandra Rude said...

Hi, Joyce, You're absolutely right! The only way to get true black in a woven cloth is to cross the black warp with a black weft; otherwise, the black warp will always have flecks of the weft colors (in this case, white and light green)in it. I'll try again with this image, using a structure that lets me use a black weft in the right places, and that should improve the contrast.