Translate

Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Preparations and Beginnings

The cones of towel warp yarn are all ready for me to begin winding the warp. Can you tell which cones were originally bleached white and which were natural? Nope, neither can I. I'm guessing the finished cloth won't show any difference between them at all!



I still have to wind the matching (finer) yarn for the towel hems onto a cone, but I'm putting that task off until there's a need for weft :-)

In the meantime, I've woven the bottom hem (with '2012' in the signature line) and the first 400 picks of the parrot:



Some very interesting reading awaits, courtesy of some Christmas gifts:



After a brief perusal of the Summer & Winter book, I can see I need to do some exploration of turned polychrome S&W structures. Next year. For which I have the 2012 Handwoven calendar, at the bottom of the pile in the picture.

Happy New Year to you all, with wishes for a creative, colorful 2012.

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

The blue/mint cotton spoke to me much more loudly than the natural so I will be making tea towels in that colour range, too. Great minds, et al.

Best wishes to you and yours for the coming year.
cheers,
Laura

Bonnie Inouye said...

Turned polychrome summer and winter and other turned polychrome tied weaves are on my 16-shaft and 24-shaft looms right now. One of my CW Seminars is about this, so I plan to experiment with more variations. Lots of room to play!