Translate

Pages

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Back in the Studio

The first few days back home were fully occupied with unpacking, washing mountains of laundry, putting away luggage, etc. Now that those tasks are dealt with, I can get back into textile mode again.

 Today, I began threading the crepe stripe/satin stripe scarf warp. Only got 2 stripes threaded, though.
















While traveling, I finished the ruffle scarf I posted about at the beginning of the trip. (In that post, you can't see the actual knitting unless you click the image to display the full-size version.) After that, I began the "wingspan" scarf (pattern by Maylin of Tri'Coterie Designs - no website; see Ravelry). If you're on Ravelry, you probably already know about this pattern, or have knit several yourself; if not, google "wingspan scarf" and you'll find lots of photos of variations on the theme.

Basically, it's a series of +-8 wedge shapes knit together, each wedge offset from the previous one by about 17 % of the total stitch count of the cast-on row, then extended beyond the end of the previous wedge by casting on an equivalent 17% of new stitches. The final rows knit across the narrow ends of all the wedges. You can do the whole thing in garter stitch, or make each wedge a different lace pattern, or ... as  you wish. The pattern is designed so that you can use any weight yarn, and appropriate needle size for that yarn; you just change the number of stitches you cast on.

Wingspan is my evening project for a while; I've finished the third wedge and started the fourth:













I chose to use a solid-color yarn, a sock-weight blend of rayon and linen (good choice for hot-weather knitting!) but most examples I've seen are made with variegated wool yarn, especially those with very long color changes, so each wedge is a different part of the colorway. I think the next one will be variegated - maybe hand-dyed.

1 comment:

neki desu said...

welcome back! i so enjoyed your trip
recount.