Translate

Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mindless

What with one thing and another, I decided that the next project on the dobby loom should be something relatively mindless. That means tea towels, woven on a straight-draw threading of white 16/2 mercerized cotton. The wefts will be 20/2 cottons, mercerized or not, of which there are a LOT of colors in the stash. I have begun winding the warp - 17 yards, which should be enough for 16 to 18 towels.

As usual for projects like this, I've been trawling handweaving.net for appropriate drafts. It's really amazing how many different effects are possible on a straight threading!

Here are a couple of possibilities, some old favorites and some I've never woven before.



Keep in mind that what's dark in the drafts will be light in the cloth, because I'm weaving on a white warp, not a colored one. And of course, the towels will be wider than just four repeats. :-)

3 comments:

Meg said...

Oh, I like the second one very much.

Liz aka Fibergeek said...

Thank you for posting these. I am in the process of warping my new to me 16 shaft loom for towels with a straight draw. I'm going to try some of these!

Sandra Rude said...

Hi, Liz, these are all 24 shaft drafts - 4 for the selvedge, and 20 for the body of the cloth. Go take a look on handweaving.net, and you'll find a lot of drafts for 16 shafts.