Translate

Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Dyeing with Wood Chips

In a comment on my last post, Denice asked what type of alcohol I use to soak wood chips in to extract color. It's denatured alcohol, available in large cans at Home Depot/Lowe's or any other hardware store - sold for stripping paint and finishes.

If you click on over to the Extra Features page on my website, you will find a link to a downloadable PDF file that describes the procedure I use to dye with wood chips.

Just to show you the range of colors that can be achieved with wood chips, here's a photo I took some years ago. All are from wood chips. I must admit that some of the grey/silver tones are wood that didn't give much color, so I added a tiny amount of iron to the dyepot to shift a blah beige to grey.


4 comments:

Cate Rose said...

What an amazing range of colors, all beautiful!

Laura Fry said...

Love that red!
cheers,
Laura

neki desu said...

the red looks like brazilwood.and each & every one is gorgeous.

Peg Cherre said...

Like everyone else, I love the red. But I'm also quite impressed by the range of colors you can get from wood chips! If time were no object (it's ALWAYS an object), I'd do a bunch of dyeing, too. I find it fascinating.