Translate

Pages

Saturday, September 05, 2015

From Loom to Fringing Stand

Now that the weaving for this series is done, it's on to twisting fringes. This will be my workspace for a few days:

DH built this using mostly PVC pipe, end caps, and angle fittings, plus a few miscellaneous bits of hardware (such as the handles for tightening down the felt-covered bars). The extra layer of towel in there just ensures that the silk scarf doesn't slip around while I'm tugging on fringe pairs.

And the key piece of equipment, resting on my knees in the photo below - the trusty Conair hair twister. They might still show up on eBay occasionally, and I finally bought a spare for when the plastic gears on this one wear out.

It's been a while since I had fringes to twist, so  it took a while to complete one end of one scarf.

 Now that my hands have regained their "muscle memory" of the task, the rest should go more quickly. Even so, this isn't my favorite part of the process of creating scarves! Making table runners that have sewn hems is a lot faster!

I will even up the fringe ends once the scarves are wet finished - it's surprising how much the fringe groups adjust themselves when washed.

3 comments:

margery meyers haber said...

This is a much nicer set-up than my fringe-twisting station, which is the dining room table and a short stack of my husband's chemistry text books.

Debi said...

I would love to see this set up, the type of bars, etc., I would love to try this. Debi

Debi said...

My email is debradeadmond@yahoo.com